Monday, January 24, 2011

A Blast From Walt Disney World Past!



So, when did I first fall in love with Walt Disney World, you ask? The month after it opened - and here's the proof!

These photographs were taken during my first visit to the Happiest Place on Earth in November, 1971, about one month after its official grand opening.

I was only two years old, and if the looks of delight on my face prove anything it's that you are never to young to enjoy Walt Disney World!

This first photo was taken at the Transportation and Ticket Center, I believe. Check out the groovy threads on that band, man! Far out!!!



This next photo was taken as we were getting ready to board the Ferry Boat for the ride across Seven Seas Lagoon to the Magic Kingdom Entrance (the lovely lady holding me is my Grandmother):





















Here we are, crossing the Seven Seas Lagoon. It was always our family tradition to ride the Ferry over at the beginning of the day, and the Monorail back to the parking lot when the park closed:





















Just for grins, I thought I'd post this photo of me on a trip to the Magic Kingdom when I was a senior in high school. We are in just about the exact same location as the photo above!

















In this next one, my parents have rented the stroller (check it out! They've come a long way on strollers, haven't they?), bought me my first pair of Mickey Ears, and we are enjoying the journey back in time on Main Street, U.S.A.!!!






















Our first character sighting, ever! Brer Fox and Brer Bear - you don't see those guys too often anymore. I wish I knew exactly what was going through my mind at this moment - whatever it was I'm sure it was a mixture of amazement, imagination, and sheer delight! Dreams and story books coming alive!








There are more of these photos to share in the next blog post. I hope you enjoyed them! I'd love to hear your comments if these have triggered some of your own memories of the parks as a child, or if you have noticed any changes in the parks since it opened from these pictures.
There are so many things that have changed in the 40 years (wow!!! FORTY!!!) since this first visit of mine. Some things I deeply miss, but most are for the better. I do know that what NEVER changes in WDW are the attitudes, imaginations, and optimism of the amazing people who work hard to create a place where we all have opportunities to make incredible memories that will last a lifetime!
Looking forward to sharing more of the magic with you!
Blessings!
Tron :)

4 comments:

kristi said...

I love this! I have never been to Disney!! I want to take my girls so bad.....maybe you can help me plan a trip!!

Sandy said...

We also went to Disney when it first opened, of course I was older than you! Even then, the lines were long! Great post and I loved seeing little toddler Teronya. :)

ohAmanda said...

Girl, I could not love this MORE! I have some old pics from my first visit--I was 3 and my mom was 8 months preggo! Here's the link:

http://ohamanda.com/2008/05/02/i-walked-with-you-once-upon-a-dream/

{I wrote that post pre-Disney Moms Panel...}

Cathy said...

Hey Teronya, I don't see a follow button on your blog. I'd become a follower if I could :). I tweeted some stuff today - trying to figure it all out. My Twitter name is stayinthecarmom.