Monday, May 28, 2012

Some gave all...what must I give?


Some thoughts to share on Memorial Day:
Today, many are celebrating the 'beginning of summer'.  For others, we are also in prayerful thanksgiving and remembrance of those who have sacrificed "ALL' for us, that we may continue to enjoy the freedom to celebrate our lives. 

Today, as I enjoy the privilege of sitting on the beach, in peace, enjoying the precious gift of loved ones around me, it's difficult to imagine the sacrifices being made by others, for others, all around this great world. 

There is guilt...guilt that I am "on vacation" on this of all days, while others are carrying the banner of freedom into deserts and jungles in faraway lands, understanding that today is not a "vacation day" for them, and in fact it could be the day they "give all" for the purpose of freedom, in which they believe so greatly. 

There is guilt that I am enjoying the spoils of freedom and luxury while men, women, and even children are living in foreign lands, not understanding the language or customs, knowing that they could be back "home", having hotdogs and hamburgers by the beach or lake or pool like the rest of us.  Yet, they choose to risk their lives to bring the Word of God to peoples yet unreached with the Good News.

I often wonder, what is expected of me?  What am I called to sacrifice...for loved ones, for others, for God?  Why haven't I been called to "give all"?  Yes, I've been called to "give some", at times, but in light of others, it truly seems a pittance.

Who knows?  Maybe one day I will be called to give "much more", maybe even "all".  I know I daily finding myself praying, asking the Lord to guide me, showing me how to "give more".  Yet, I confess, I don't often (ever????!) find myself praying, "Lord, show me how to give ALL!"  I do find myself thinking that "all" is something I'll be willing to give... one day...when I've done "everything else"....
Right now in a class I'm taking, we are studying the Christian martyrs.  Martyrdom is not something that God called or expected of all of the early Christians.  However, many believed it was the ultimate act of service, and therefore willingly gave all on behalf of the Christian faith so that others may believe and continue to practice their faith in freedom.  Some even 'volunteered' to be martyred, though many believed that this wasn't really the best way to answer God's call  - many who volunteered to die actually renounced God when push came to shove and the moment of death was upon them, and thus hindered the message of the Gospel.
If I am ever called to answer to the duty of sacrifice, I would hope that I would submit in faith and trust that it is the ultimate calling for "the greater good", as those heroes in our military and the Christian martyrs before us have done so gallantly.  This is something I have wondered since a very, very young age:  Would I be willing to die so that others might live?  I hope so!

However, today, on Memorial Day, as I reflect upon all of this, I am comforted greatly by the Scripture, from Psalms 51, in which David said to God:  "You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.  You do not want a burnt offering. The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.  You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.  Look with favor on Zion and help her; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.  Then you will be pleased with sacrifices offered in the right spirit..."
God doesn't call everyone of us to "give all", though most certainly some are called to this supreme sacrifice.  And to them, I am forever and truly humbled and grateful. 

But as for the rest of us, what He desires more than anything is a repentant heart.  Is that really too much to give, in light of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and the martyrs before us?  Can we offer the Lord our heart, all of it, in the "right spirit"?

It's something to think about...and for which to pray:  "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10)

Blessings to you all, and my sincere, heartfelt gratitude to the men and women who "gave all", and to their families who have suffered great loss on our behalf as well.  Words are not enough...
A blessed Memorial Day to all,
Love,
Tron

No comments: