Sunday, November 1, 2009

nEARly Disney Moms Panelist!

Maybe you are wondering why I have chosen the retro Disney World ad as the profile picture for my blog? Most of my friends and family know what a huge Disney fan I am. In fact, it has always been my dream to work for Disney, and that's a dream that I still haven't given up on. I applied to the Disney college work program when I was a student at the University of Tennessee many, many years ago. Alas, it was not to be. They had a requirement that you were a major in either Hotel/Restaurant Management or Business. My major was in Education/Exercise Physiology. That didn't stop me from applying, and I did get an interview. And in the interview I tried to convince them that I would make a wonderful lifeguard, fitness center manager, even street sweeper!!...but they weren't buying it. I seriously considered changing my major at that point, just to improve my chances the next year, but when my boyfriend (now husband) told me how relieved he was that I wouldn't be spending the summer apart from him, I realized it was all for the best - at that time. Well, I admit - I did consider dropping him for half a minute before I came to my senses...hah!

But as I said, the dream lives on! Disney now has this wonderful new program called the "Disney Moms Panel". They choose a panel of 16 moms, and last year they also chose one dad, to serve for a year as panelists who answer questions about traveling to Disney World posed by visitors to the Disney website. The panelists enjoy a free trip to Disney World to go through the Moms Panel training and learn as much as they possibly can about the company, the parks, and what it means to be an important part of "Team Disney". They then spend a year answering questions and posting their favorite tips online. It is a wonderful honor and a great opportunity. For many of the moms, it has even led to permanent opportunities with Disney (what a dream come true!!!).

The first year I applied, last year, I didn't make it past the first round. However, the "losers" were invited to join a special "Mickey Moms Club" online. This was an opportunity to stay connected to the action and keep abreast of the latest information.

This year, I applied once again, and made it to the second round! I admit, I was getting my hopes up. But, alas, the second round was where my journey ended. It was a great disappointment, to say the least. But there was a silver lining....

By a strange happenstance, several of us "rejects" ended up on an email list together, so we had the opportunity to exchange emails and commiserate with one another on our rejection status. We even formed a Facebook page for the "nEARly Disney Moms Panelists" in which we are all now exchanging our own information and ideas with one another. Even though we aren't the "Real Deal", it has been great fun to connect with this bunch of moms and dads who are Disney fanatics, just like me!

What I have found out, also, is that so many of them have the same dreams as I have had - to work for Disney in some capacity. In fact, many of them have made this a part of their life goals, and they are working diligently toward achieving it. I have been astounded at the knowledge they all have regarding Disney, and how intensely they follow the latest news and updates on the parks and "all things Disney"!

At first, I was a little taken aback at the level of fanaticism I was encountering. After all, for me, it has been maybe just a little more than a "pipe dream". I would LOVE it to happen, but I haven't lost sleep over losing out. But after I began reading the Facebook pages, blogs and even websites of so many of my new friends, I began to realize - you know, this could be MORE than a pipe dream for me, too! I could really get serious about this! It could actually become a reality one day! I have really been very motivated by the opportunities that could ensue.

I have also been impressed at the entire world of "mommy blogging" on the internet! There are so many talented, smart, and savvy women out there who are doing an incredible job at sharing their knowledge and best tips on topics such as parenting, wellness, cooking, creativity, finances, product reviews, and more. And many of them have been very successful at parlaying this into a way to make some extra money through mommy blogging. It is something that has intrigued me for a while, and now I am interested in exploring this path a little further.

So, though this "random blogger" will definitely continue to be random for now, you will definitely catch me blogging on these issues - "mommy blogging", product reviews, ideas and tips for improving our quality of life, healthcare issues, and of course, DISNEY! I can promise all this and more...and I definitely look forward to reading your ideas and knowledge as you feel led to share it with me!

So, at this point, this "nEARly a Disney Mom Panelist", is content to continue exploring and learning.... looking forward to becoming closer and closer to whatever it is I'm supposed to eventually become. I want to encourage you to also find the thing you are passionate enough to "nEARly be", and continue exploring and working toward BECOMING the "real deal"!

No comments: